Manchester United was the first football club to develop an active partnership between Unicef and the world of football. United for Unicef was launched in 1999 and is the longest running collaboration between a Premiership football club and a global children's organisation. To date, the club has raised over £4 million helping millions of children worldwide.
Manchester United's partnership with Unicef under the ‘United for Unicef' brand is managed by Manchester United Foundation.
Celebrating 20 years of United for Unicef
Over the past 20 years your generosity has helped to protect and save the lives of some of the most vulnerable children in the world.
Here are just some of the ways the United for Unicef has made a difference:
- Supporting people with HIV/AIDS in Laos and reaching 7000 secondary school children
- Training over 12,000 health workers in Afghanistan and supporting children affected by landmines
- Providing access to quality education to children in Myanmar and supporting 147 schools in the country
- Supporting programmes to reduce paediatric HIV infections by 40% in South Africa
- Reaching 91% of the population in Sierra Leone with HIV awareness messages
- Developing a life skill curriculum in China reaching 650,000 children
- Vaccinating 918,000 Syrian children against measles during the outbreak in 2012
- Building 35 child survival centres in Senegal to reduce the high rates of infant mortality
- Supporting Unicef during the Pakistan floods, which affected 2.8 million children
- Supporting 82 adolescents to become community swimming instructors in Bangladesh, thus helping to deliver swimming training to over 37,000 children affected by floods
- Helping to provide life-saving food and clean water to children suffering from severe malnutrition, starvation and famine in East Africa
- Helping Unicef to build a more effective child protection system in Vietnam and developing a community football programme for 184 vulnerable children in Ho Chi Minh City
- Providing access to education and life skill development for the most disadvantaged children in Thailand
United for Unicef Gala Dinner
The annual United for Unicef Gala Dinner, held at Old Trafford, and attended by all the first team players, is a highlight in the partnership calendar.